Monday, February 25, 2013

Movie Critique #7: Tale of Despereaux

I am a Disney kid through and through. I grew up watching cartoon movies and animated films. I even got the nickname "Boo" after Monsters, Inc. came out.
I love watching animated movies though. It's like reliving my childhood even though I look like a 12 year old.

The movie for this review is called Tale of Despereaux and it's about a little mouse!

ACTING
This was an animated film, so there wasn't much acting to it. There were a lot of voice overs! And Emma Watson was one of them. Although I do think that Matthew Broderick's voice was a little deep for such a little mouse. I would have liked to hear a young boy or teenage boy do the voice.
Total Oscars: 3

SET/COSTUMES & MAKEUP
Again, I can't really judge this because it was ANIMATED. But I do admit that I liked the way Roscuro was dressed because he was a pirate. I thought that was cute!
I thought that the faces were REALLY oddly shaped and it freaked me out a little. The princess looked a little lanky and she had these huge eyes that peered into your soul.
Total Oscars: 2 (the faces freaked me out)

STORY LINE
A little mouse, Despereaux, is a little curious mouse that wants to learn more about the Princess after he accidentily encounters her during one of his mouse lessons. But because he's not supposed to interact with humans, he ends up being banished and is sent to live with the rats where he met Roscuro. Roscuro accidently killed the Princess's mother by giving her a heart attack, so he tries to make it up to her by meeting her, but that goes awry and Roscuro ends up capturing her and bringing her to the rat colony. The rest of the story is about how Despereaux goes through incredible lengths to save her.
Total Oscars: 3 (it's the classic damsel in distress story *yawn*)

OSCAR SUM: 8 

Now I don't hate the movie, but it seemed mediocre and even though I love animated stuff, this was a little stereotypical plot. I suppose this is me being irritated because I've grown out of kids movies, but I still want something that can entertain me for an hour or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment