Saturday, February 16, 2013

Movie Critique # 6: North Country

College has some perks to it.

Besides the fact that I am getting a head start on my education, some of the classes are pretty interesting. One of the ones that I am signed up for is a women's studies class. I figured it would be a worthwhile elective to take because I am going to be in an industry all about people after all.

One of the MAJOR perks is that I get to watch movies for homework. Now that I can deal with.
This particular film is called North Country. 

Although I would recommend not watching it on Valentine's Day because it's a movie about severe sexual harassment.

Don't do what I did. It makes you feel alone.

ACTING
Charlize Theron is a cray cray lady. Not because she was standing up for herself, but because she was melodramatic about everything. It was seriously frightening. I thought she was way too skinny and her teeth were too white to be working in a mine, but that's just me.
Total Oscars: 3 (the teeth and the perfect shag of her hair in every scene bugged me)

SET/MAKEUP
While there was a lot of soot and smear paint involved in the movie, I felt as if some things were too clean to be there. The counters were too clean in the kitchens and the clothes too perfectly clinging to the women's bodies. I did like how they built the dispensary belts and the towers of the mill. That was pretty cool! I give them props for that.
Total Oscars: 3

STORY LINE
Josey Aimes (Charlize Theron) has to leave her abusive husband to save her and her children's lives. She ends up getting a job at the tactonite mill that her father has worked for most of his life. She's one of the handful of women selected to work at the mill, but she goes through unbearable ridicule and scrutiny from her male colleagues. She ends up filing a lawsuit against the mill because she was not being respected by anyone (not even her father), and her rights as a woman were not being protected. The movie is about her journey of taking the complaint to court.
Total Oscars: 3 (it was a lot to take in)

Oscar Sum: 9

The movie was wayyyyy too repulsive in my opinion. Did I like it? Yes, but it was really depressing to watch and I felt uncomfortable watching these women be tortured as they were. I suppose that was the whole point, but it still makes you paranoid after.

I wouldn't recommend watching this if you are around children or live with much older individuals. The language and sexual content is going to get people riled up. Be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment