Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Movie Review # 5: Zero Dark Thirty

I cannot stand violence. Seriously! I don't like wars because a lot of innocent people are killed and the killing just amplifies the problem in the first place. I think action movies are stupid and I am not a fan of Schwarzenegger or Stallone. They always play the same macho roles and it gets super boring.

Sorry Rambo.

But when I went to see Zero Dark Thirty,  I was actually looking forward to it. I like to see stuff based on actual events, especially when the story is about an event that has shaped my life.

ONWARDS.

ACTING
I saw Jessica Chastain in The Help, where she was this little Southern belle just trying to make some friends. I felt so bad for her character in that movie. It was heartbreaking to see her be mistreated so badly.
But in her new film, she kicks burro (I would say the A word, but I don't want it to come back and haunt me. SO Spanish words it is!). She was seriously one of the toughest chicks I have ever seen!
All of the actors had the tension dead on. It was really intense the whole way through. I just can't get over how realistic it was. Almost as if you were watching a documentary!
Total Oscars: 5 

By Tony Shek (Jessica Chastain) [CC-BY-SA-2.0
 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)],
via Wikimedia Commons
SET/MAKEUP & COSTUME
Hollywood did a pretty risky gamble trying to reenact a historical event. It's a bit hard to recreate embassies and bomb explosions (especially ones where the actual actors are actually close to the explosion). The sets were pretty cool.
But the makeup I disagree on. There was a scene in the beginning where a prisoner was being tortured, and boy it was realistic...minus his clean teeth. Everyone's teeth was sooooo clean. If you live in a dangerous and poverty stricken place, I'm expecting you to be a little grungy every time I see you. Jessica Chastain's hair was too perfect and she never ever looked tired (it's her perfect skin. I am telling you, nothing will ever taint her skin that's how magical it is). Did she look stressed? In some parts, but you never saw her body shrivel from it like a normal person would.
Total Oscar: 3 (everyone was too pretty and clean for a desert)

STORY LINE
Maya (aka Jessica Chastain) is the woman in charge of trying to hunt down Osama Bin Laden. Everyone else eventually gives up on her mission or ends up dying somehow, but she sticks through it all and has to convince some big honchos to let her keep pursuing her mission, even though no one believes her.
Total Oscars: 5 (because it was all so believable)

Oscar Sum: 13 

The best part was that a Navy Seal from the mission actually saw the movie and said she was pretty tough! So I'm guessing that's a good sign. But he also said that it was too melodramatic and there wouldn't be as much noise as the movie suggested. I suppose you'll have to watch for yourself and find out!

Until then, I'm going to start boxing to make me feel BA.

tootles!

No comments:

Post a Comment